For those stuck at home, I thought it might be nice to gather some resources for photographers that have recently became available due to COVID-19 quarantine situation. There are a lot of folks stuck at home with kids who are looking to pickup a new hobby, learn a new skill, and the like, not to mention some folks might want to dust off their old photography skills while under quarantine. Some of you out there might just be bored while stranded at home and want to try your hand behind the lens. No matter which group you fancy yourself, I thought it would be a good opportunity to gather up some learning opportunities for you. Now, this might not be the best of time to head outside with a camera but there are still things you can do to brush up and make learn something new. Here’s a sample:
- Photographic Art Center Northwest has made their spring 2020 class available online. Details here: http://pcnw.org/education/classes/spring-2020-classes
- The Los Angeles Center of Photography has made some classes available online: https://lacphoto.org/course-categories/
- David duChemin has opened up some of his classes. Links are as follows: The Compelling Frame: https://www.thecompellingframe.com The Traveling Lens Course: https://www.thetravelinglenscourse.com and Master Your Craft: https://www.masteryourcraftcourse.com
- The Contemporary Austin is doing a Zine called, “Make an Animal Facts Club.” You are invited to complete one visual page and one written page on the animal of your choice. Details at their link: https://thecontemporaryaustin.org/event/animal-facts-club-in-the-wild/
- Houston Center for Photography has some online material: https://hcponline.org/education/learning-center/about-our-learning-center/spring-2020-academic-calendar/
- The Professional Photographers of America (PPA) have unlocked over 1,000 of their classes for a limited time. You can read details of this here: https://www.techradar.com/news/over-1000-online-photography-courses-are-now-available-for-free
- Precision Camera and Video in Austin is doing a lot of free hang-outs and online classes. Here’s a link to their site: https://www.precision-camera.com/classes/
- The folks at Lensbaby are doing a photo contest called “Lensbaby at Home.” You can find details here: https://lensbaby.com/
- The Santa Fe Photography Workshops is also doing a themed show called, “Reflecting On.” You can find details on their page: https://www.santafeworkshops.com/
- Josh Baker has some photography education available here: https://www.patreon.com/azulox
- Dallas Center for Photography has made a bunch of classes available online: https://dallascenterforphotography.org/education/classes-workshops/
Since this is such a wildly changing situation, I’ve decided to update this page as I find additional resources. If you know of a resource that should be added to the list, please reach out, either in the comments section or by email and I’ll update this page as I can.
I hope you enjoy your time at home and make the most of these troubling current times. Stay healthy out there!
Until next time…